A total of 12 barangays in the municipality of Nunungan have been declared by the Philippine Drug Enforcement Agency (PDEA) and the Department of the Interior and Local Government (DILG) as drug-cleared communities.
Mayor Marcos Mamay of Nunungan has called all concern citizens particularly barangay officials to take extra mile to achieve this declaration municipal-wide.
“ We need the help of our constituents to achieve this effort that all our barangays be declared as drug-free. This is everybody’s concern”, Mayor Mamay said.
According to Department of Interior and Local Government (DILG) officials in order for a village to be declared as “drug-cleared” or free from illegal drug activities it needs to meet these six requirements such as;
1. Non-availability of drug supply
2. Absence of drug den, pusher, user
3. Absence of clandestine drug laboratory
4. Active involvement of barangay officials in anti-drug activities
5. Existence of drug awareness, preventive education and information
6. Existence of voluntary and compulsory drug treatment and rehabilitation
These requirements are mandated under Dangerous Drugs Board Regulation No. 3 series of 2017.
“It is therefore imperative upon barangays to adopt measures towards the prevention and eradication of drug abuse within their areas,” the DILG official said in a statement during the recent PADAC meeting held at MCC Gym, Tubod town.